Pages

A Pink and Zebra Hair Bow Holder {Cute!}

Last weekend one of my bff's had her daughter's third birthday party and the theme was pink and zebra.  Right away I knew that I wanted to get her a gift with that color scheme.  I looked around a couple of stores but didn't find anything that really caught my eye so I said the heck with it and told myself to make her a gift.  I pondered for a bit and remembered that I had seen hair bow holders at holiday type craft shows and on the internet here and there.  I had never made one and figured it couldn't be all that difficult, right?  Nope it wasn't and I was actually surprised and a little pleased with myself.

Okay here is how beginner crafter me did it and if there is a better or easier way then please help a sista out and lemme know!  :)

Here is this pretty little thang I made.


Step 1:
I used a 16"x20" canvas, a bottle of bubblegum pink Americana acrylic paint, a wide sponge brush and a paper plate.  Oh and some newspaper too of course.


Step 2:
Let the paint dry for at least 4 hours or overnight like how I did. Use three three different colored/design ribbons for the board.  Cut each ribbon long enough to fold over on the back for gluing. Lay the ribbon out on the board to determine the spacing.  I used a few of my daughter's bows to help me space out each ribbon before gluing them down to the back side of the board.

Step 3:
Tape each end of each ribbon down on the board BEFORE you begin to glue.  Yes, this was a little time consuming for me but it was the only way I could think of keeping the ribbon in place in order to flip the board over for gluing.
Step 4:
Carefully flip the board over and start gluing each ribbon end with a hot glue gun. Take the tape off of the glued end before working on the other side.  This way you will be able to give the ribbon a little "pull" before gluing the second side.  Gluing both ends of the ribbons and then removing the tape may leave a little too much space between the ribbon and board. 


I used the back of a spoon to smooth out the glue because it was a bit too hot for my fingers.  I also used a ruler to guide me as I want along just to make sure my ribbon was not off center.

Step 5:
Flip the board over and make sure all  is good and securely glued.  It's beginning to look purdy purdy!
Cut a piece of ribbon (I used the zebra design) a little longer then the width of the board.


Fold the ribbon in half, cut it and place it design side down on the back of the board. Glue it down, flip it over again and tie a knot at the top. 

Step 6:
Okay, we're in the home stretch.  I didn't want to hand this board over with just ribbon on it so I thought adding her name with some black chipboard letters (scrapbooking section at Hobby Lobby) and touch of bling would give it that perfect touch.

I lined up the letters on the board and then glued each one down with my hot glue gun. It's been over a week since I gave her this gift and the letters are still holding up but I think there is a better alternative to the hot glue gun for this one.  A couple of the letters were a little wishy washy so I added more glue and stuck them back on.  Still, will use different glue from now on.  Not sure what kind as I need to research that mo' better.






Here it is again and with the pretty little princess happily posing with it.  Ain't she a cutie?



I was a little proud of myself and it looks much prettier in person.  I think I will make more!

FYI: I purchased most of the supplies from Hobby Lobby either on sale or with a 40% off coupon.

I'm linking up with these fab bloggers:

3 comments:

  1. So cute! And your sweetie is adorable! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This turned out really cute---your daughter is adorable and look at that smile! Thanks for linking up to Share the Love Wednesday; hope you'll be back this week. Mary

    ReplyDelete

Comments tickle me pink! Thank you for stopping by and browsing around these parts. :)

Snack Station {Halloween}

Hello, happy Friday and happy kickoff to Halloween weekend!  I know, I know I’m rarely on here but I finally got a light under my butt to p...